Before you hire your first employee, you will need to ensure you have the correct registrations attached to your Australian Business Number (ABN). This may include:
- Registering for pay as you go withholding (PAYGW)
- Setting up Single Touch Payroll (STP) enabled software
- Ensuring you are set up to pay super
- Reviewing your requirement to register for state and territory payroll tax. Information for NSW is available here.
- Register for FBT if you provide benefits in addition to wages.
When you have the required registrations to enable you to employ employees, it is time to start the hiring process. The Fair Work Ombudsman website is a great place to review pay rates, general employer obligations and record keeping requirements.
Another useful free resource is the Employer Advisory Service for small business employers (less than 15 staff) with free tailored advice to assist small businesses in meeting their obligations.